- Type: Independent
- Genre: Dance/Physical Theatre
- Date: 2015-12-20
- Location: Korzo, The Hague, Dansmakers Amsterdam, Rietveld Theatre in Delft, National dutch tour
- Number of performers: 3
- Duration: 30-40
Essential Rights was created in 2015 and performed in different occasions until the end of 2018.
- In November 2016, it was presented at Café Belcampo in Amsterdam and in a Dutch national tour in collaboration with the ENS company at the Rietveld Theatre in Delft. Cast: Fernando Troya, Arturo Vargas, Quentin Roger.
- It was reworked again in June 2017 for a proper premiere at Korzo Theatre, as part of the programme All there is. This is where the work finally became a whole piece. Cast: Gianmarco La Roca, Arturo Vargas y Quentin Roger.
- It was performed at Dansmakers Amsterdam in the fall of 2017.
- Essential Rights was awarded with the BNG Dansprijs the fall of 2017. The award meant a national tour with 15 shows in The Netherlands, as part of the Korzo Production Dansclick, in the fall of 2018. This time the cast were Arturo Vargas, Quentin Roger and Alex de Vries.
About the work:
In Essential Rights, we find different metaphors about life contained within the unique universe of three particular individuals. This piece touches subjects such as parenting; the problems, fears and taboos parents’ conflicts create in children and how this can affect the present in all of us. It also talks about the social rules; materialism and bullying; an important part of our world. A place where you have to succeed, be the best, and therefore are forced to be on top of everyone, whether you like it or not.
Music by Carlos Ema.
Image by Duarte Nobre and Jochem Jurgens.